Product Code: 520250
Product Type: Specialty Spill Control, Standard Mercury Spill Kit
Product Description: Spilfyter brand Grab & Go Spill Kit product. Grab & Go® Mercury Spill Kit
Packaging: Plastic Case w/Handle – 96/pallet
Weight (std): 5lbs Weight (met): 2kg
Designed to handle all stages of cleaning up mercury spills. The MERCSORB® Spill Kit is designed for-one time use only. MERCSORB® Kits do not contain any chemicals designed to alter the the mercury’s toxicity or danger. Mercury Spill Control OSHA HOSPITAL RECOMMENDATIONS: “…Use mercury spill kits to help clean up small spills of 25ml or less. Kits should contain gloves, protective glasses, Hg absorb powder, mercury sponges, and a disposal bag.”
- HOW TO USE MERCURY SPILL KIT:
- 1) Evacuate employees from the spill area.
- 2) Personal protective equipment for exposure to mercury should be worn.
- 3) Ventilate the contaminated area.
- 4) Shake the vapor suppressor over the contaminated area being sure to cover any visible mercury.
- 5) Collect all vapor suppressor covered mercury using the wooden spatula and the mercury aspirator bottle. Wait 30 minutes before final clean-up.
- 6) Empty the aspirator bottle into the mercury waste bottle.
- 7) Activate the MERCSORB® Amalgamation Powder with two (2) ounces powder in a plastic mixing cup. Apply just enough water to form a paste (about 1 ounce). Mix the MERCSORB® Powder and water with a wooden spatula.
- 8) Apply a strip of MERCSORB paste across the edge of the mercury-contaminated area. Push the strip slowly across the contaminated surface with a wooden spatula. Apply the MERCSORB® paste in one direction only. Small droplets of mercury will be absorbed in the MERCSORB® paste.
- 9) Apply a second strip of the MERCSORB® paste to the area and push the strip across the area a second time.
- 1) Place the contaminated MERCSORB® paste into a sealed plastic container.
- 11) Wipe the contaminated area using a damp sponge.
- 12) Dispose of the used items and products in accordance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- 13) After all visible mercury has been properly collected from horizontal surface; sprinkle Mercury Indicator Powder over contaminated area. For vertical surfaces, mix one (1) part Mercury Indicator Powder with four (4) parts water to form a slurry. Paint the slurry on the contaminated vertical surface.
- 14) Mercury Indicator Powder should be left undisturbed on the contaminated surface for 24 hours.
- 15) A color change of pink to reddish-brown spots indicates contamination. Large black spots or areas indicate fresh or extensive mercury contamination.
- 16) Collect the Mercury Indicator Powder and place in a temporary disposal bag.
- 17) Clean up remaining mercury contaminated area with physical and chemical means as described in steps 7-11.
- 18) Repeat steps 12-16 until no indication of mercury is observed.
- 19) Once decontaminated, clean the area using a sponge and warm soapy water.
- All used products are contaminated and must be disposed of as toxic waste in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
- Depending on the size and extent of the spill, additional equipment may be needed. Kit sorbency capacity is 25ml (337g) of Mercury.
- CAUTION: Only trained personnel should respond to mercury spills. MERCSORB® kits do not contain any chemicals designed to alter the mercury’s toxicity or danger. Mercury is absorbed directly through the skin and inhalation. Kit is designed for one-time use only.
- NOTE: Mercury has a density of 13.55 g/ml at 68° F(20° C).
(270g) Amalgamation Powder
(250g) Indicator Powder
(1#) Vapor Suppressor Shaker Bottle
(1) Aspirator Bottle
(1) Waste Collection Bottle
(1) Mixing Tub with Spatula
(1) Chemical Sponge
(1) Disposal Bag & Twist Tie
(1 pr.) Nitrile Gloves
(1 pr.) Splash Goggles
(1) Wisk on Pan
(1) Plastic case w/handle